My name is Daniel Deacon. I'm from the UK and I currently live and work in Seoul, South Korea.
I have always had a passion for the English language, and I have channeled this into teaching, writing, and proofreading and copy editing.
I began my career as a freelance proofreader and copy editor with Compass Media in 2012, working on a series of English textbooks for middle school students.
By the end of that year I had proofread and copy edited four series of textbooks, and I continue to work with Compass to this day as a proofreader, copy editor and content editor.
Since then I have worked with several businesses and English Language Training (ELT) publishers in Korea. I was a copy editor and proofreader for Groove Korea from 2013-2015, proofreader and copy editor at Beyond, Korean Air's in-flight magazine, in 2016, and I have also worked with translators, the British Council in Abu Dhabi, Oxford University Press Korea, website owners, students and independent writers in South Korea, the UK and around the world.
You can read what my clients have to say about my proofreading and copy editing on my clients and testimonials page.
I hold diplomas in proofreading and editing and web writing from the College of Media and Publishing (formerly CTJT), and I have also studied with Chapterhouse Publishing and The Publishing Training Centre.
In addition to proofreading and copy editing, I have written ESL exercises and co-developed ELT textbooks for schools and ELT publishers in Seoul, and I have written and contributed articles to Groove Korea, Korea's leading English-language magazine, and IATEFL Voices.
In January 2016 I co-published The Top 300 Business Idioms with Gunther Breaux, author of Jazz English, which you can see and buy on Amazon.com or Gmarket.co.kr.
On top of this I have been teaching English since 2004 in Korea, the Czech Republic, Germany and the UK.
I taught at Dankook University from 2010-2013, and I'm currently an assistant professor at Hankuk University of Foreign Studies in Seoul, where I teach speaking, listening and writing to first year university students alongside my proofreading, copy editing and writing work.
When I'm not teaching or editing, I enjoy long walks around Seoul, taking photographs and capturing scenes from the city for Instagram (you can follow me @daniel_deacon) and spending time in coffee shops, where I like to read, write or sketch. I also enjoy cycling and swimming and try to do these as often as I can.
My qualifications and experience
- Diplomas with distinction in both proofreading and editing and web writing from the College of Media and Publishing (formerly CTJT)
- Passed the Understanding Book Publishing course from The Publishing Training Centre (2014)
- Master's degree in TESOL (teaching English to speakers of other languages), Dankook University (2012)
- Bachelor's degree in English literature with history, University of Plymouth (2002)
- Proofreader and copy editor of ELT textbooks, translations and magazines published in Korea
- Proofreader of ebooks and business materials published in the UK
- Co-developer of ELT textbooks in Korea and the UK
- Twelve years as an English language teacher in South Korea, Germany, the Czech Republic and the UK